Friday, October 17, 2008

The Big Project


My hubby and I have been trying to remodel our living room for a looooong time. I am too embarrassed to even say how long.



This is the only project we did not take b4 photos of so I will only have after photos. Anyway, we pulled up the carpet long ago. I have had just concrete forever. We removed our fireplace, a door, and a wind from a load bearing wall. No small feat considering I only weigh 104. All that ex-Marine stuff came in handy.lol The fireplace was in the middle of the wall with the window on 1 side and the door (single french type) on the other.



We put in double french doors and two 2 windows. I wanted to hire a contractor but he said no. I saw how to do this on DIY and we can do it. So we put in the new wall, windows, and door. And we didn't argue or try to kill each other. But......the door leaked. After several attempts at stopping the leak including removing and reinstalling the door TWICE he finally fixed it.



Today I finally got the paint on the walls!! yay!!!! Let me say I am not a good painter. I never get enough paint on the roller and always have to go over the wall 2x. But I have had some experience now and I have learned if I think it is too much, it is usually the right amount. So I did much better today.



Now all we have to do is baseboards (paint all and install some), finish window sills, and lay the floor (hardwood) and tile in front of the door. Hopefully, we can get all this done next week when we are off work. Good thing we work 4 10 hour days otherwise it might take 2 more weeks.



We have 2 German Shepherds and they are beside themselves because they can't get in the room. I don't know who will be happier when this is done us or them.

2 Comments:

  1. John said...
    Hi inge',

    You have a very nice and encouraging blog. I will definitely read up on all your previous posts, especially the sharings on God and His Word :)

    Great job on painting the walls! You are improving! Your sharing reminded me of the first few times I learnt how to paint... I must have felt like you did when I finally GOT IT! LOL At least you had the privilege of using a roller. I was trained to use the brush... yeap, so if we were to compete side-by-side, you would beat me hands down :)

    The story about the door is really amusing. At least your hubby got it at last.

    Do post a picture of your fully remodeled living quarters when everything's done. Have fun!

    John
    Inge' said...
    john,
    thank you for the encouraging words.

    i do enjoy reading all my comments. everyone is very kind and encouraging.

    i will post pics if we ever get done!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates