Wednesday, February 25, 2009


Yesterday hubs and I had a nasty argument. It started out as a conversation and ended up with insults and colorful language all around. All over politics. I am sick of politics. So much so that I told him I would no longer be having any discussion centered around politics with him anymore. I know this sounds like an impossible task, but I think I can do it.

In all fairness to him, he did come back home and apologize to me for what he said. To which I replied that world famous "Okay". All of you know the tone I used and the meaning behind it so I won't bore you with all of that. He just looks and me and says, "I thought you might apologize too." Well, I didn't and I should have. I was still angry and hurt by the names he called me and frankly, I just wanted to bask in my anger a little longer.

So this morning I have been thinking about what words like humble, humility, and meek mean and how they apply to me. The English language has evolved to the degree that we use words like this as an insult to one's inner strength. Since this was my misconception, I felt that I was within my rights to still be angry. Notice how the focus is on me and not what God would have me do? So, I have listed these 3 words below with their meanings so we can all know what a meek and humble person is like.

Humble - 1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.
Adjective
1. conscious of one's failings
2. modest and unpretentious: humble domestic objects
3. ordinary or not very important: humble beginnings

Humility - the quality of being humble and modest; a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride

Meek - 1. Showing patience and humility; gentle.
2. Easily imposed on; submissive.

Adjective
humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness; "meek and self-effacing" mild, modest humble - marked by meekness or modesty; not arrogant or prideful

Now that I know the meanings of these words, I think I can apologize to hubs with the right spirit and with a sense of humility without losing my dignity and self-respect. I feel it important for him to know that while I am sorry for the names I called him and the colorful language that I used, I should still be able to voice my opinion without fear of insults to my person.

While I realize that we will have disagreements, I am hopeful that in the future I can remember what I have learned today and be more of an example not only to my husband but to others also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates