Friday, July 3, 2009

Better Than I Expected


Yesterday I went to visit my grandmother. As you know from my previous post, I was not looking forward to it.

First, I want to thank those of you that left comments encouraging me. I really needed it and it has definitely helped me along this rocky path.

When I got there, she was sitting in the hallway observing. This is a good sign. If she is in her room it can go either way. She was in very good spirits.

Here is another nursing home tip. No matter the facility, and I have worked in several, you just can't keep it all spotless. There will always be something. Trash needs to emptied, cups need to be taken to kitchen, linens should be changed etc. When you 100+ beds at 2 to a room, you just cannot keep it all done. So you need to learn where everything is. Where can you get clean linens? If they have a cart in the hallway and it is empty, where is the laundry room. Where is the ice/water machine? Where can you get gloves, cups, straws, etc.

About once a month, I take my own cleaning supplies up there. Since I use all natural products, I don't worry about the chemicals irritating Granny or her roommate. I clean everything Granny could possibly touch. There have been times when I do this more, but usually about once a month is good. I remove things from her dresser that she plunders in on a regular basis. I clean out the drawer and go through and take out any candy wrappers and the like to throw away. This will help keep the germs at bay so she stays healthy. But I digress.

We go to her room and she is talking the whole way. I am still able to lift my grandmother so we do our usual routine. While we are in the bathroom, they bring her food tray in. So I was able to bathe her, and get her ready for bed and feed her dinner. She was in such a good mood and I was so grateful! Sometimes her moods will linger for a day or two, but God was so gracious to me yesterday.

So, thanks to you all again for encouraging me and sending your words of wisdom. They mean a lot.

1 Comment:

  1. sober white women said...
    I am glad that you had a good visit with your grandmother. I don't blame for doing your own cleaning, I would do the same.
    Kelli

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates