Monday, July 6, 2009

Pressure Sores



Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. My mom called me this morning and told me Granny has a pressure sore on her derriere. This is caused by her sitting in a wheelchair for hours on end. She tends to slump down in it. We still have not figured out why she does this. We even ordered her a special cushion to prevent this and she has found a way to do it anyway.

I have found some information on the web, and from what mom has told me, it sounds like it i a stage two pressure sore. The problem is going to be keeping it treated properly. I found some stuff on the web we can use, but the nursing facility will also have to treat this quickly and properly or it will become worse rather quickly.

My daughter has a body pillow that she is going to let us use so Granny cannot maneuver herself back onto her back as she sleeps. Hopefully, this will help. There are many products out there designed to treat and prevent pressure sores all with designer prices. The most prevalent being, medical sheepskin. Since this is not your run of the mill sheepskin, I am finding it quite difficult to find a wheelchair pad or mattress rug/pad that is affordable.

Hopefully, we can treat this with what we and can afford before it becomes too painful for Granny. She is not going to like not being able to get in her chair and roam around though.

3 Comments:

  1. Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...
    I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope she heals quickly but this takes time. I had one for several months.

    Look into a wound care nurse it will help. She needs to stay off her butt till it heals.

    Check into a roho seat cushion for her wheelchair and have her shift her weight every 20 min for a few minutes once she is healed and back into her wheelchair.

    Find a good wheelchair clinic in your area, Goodluck!
    Michael Horvath said...
    those things can be the worst. I hope you find a way to not only relieve the pressure but to fix the problem.
    John said...
    Ouch! Will pray that you get that affordable wheelchair pad or mattress rug/pad.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates