Saturday, April 3, 2010

She Could be Me


While in line at the grocer's the other day, I noticed a very small old lady. I don't think I would have noticed her if she had not been coughing. This was not one of those severe coughing fits, just a little cough. I can't really describe it except to say it was non-productive. She must have been about 5 foot maybe shorter and definitely less than 100 pounds. She had on a little flowered rain hat and big glasses. She wore even bigger sunglasses over these.

She had this little coughing fit long enough for me to start looking for some water to buy for her. By the time I find it, the cough had subsided. With everything in bloom around here, it may have been some sort of allergy irritating her. But I digress.

When I finally get outside with my groceries, I see her trying to get her things out of the cart. Since I have a soft spot for little old ladies, I offered to help her take her things to her car. she has about 5 bags and a few are filled with some heavy items. That is when she tells me she doesn't have a car and no one is coming to pick her up. she will be walking home. So I offered to take her home. i can not believe she takes me up on my offer. This lady lived over a mile away! i know that doesn't sound like a long way to someone that is in shape, but to someone that is at least 70, carrying 5 bags of groceries, that is a trek!

When I dropped her off, I started crying and had to call my mom. I felt so bad for this lady. I don't know if she has children or any other family close to her. She would not let help her carry her things to her house so I am not sure where she lives. She lives in one of those retirement type apartment complexes. I just can't seem to get this woman off my mind. I felt so bad for her. I couldn't help wondering what she did when it was cold or what she is going to do when it gets really hot this summer.

Even though I don't know this lady's situation, I can't help but get angry. Where is her family? Why doesn't this complex offer some type of transportation for these elderly folks? I think of her and I know that but for the grace and mercy of God, she could be my granny. That's when I really start to cry.

I want to encourage you to remember the elderly in your community. Most have families that live quite a distance from them if at all. Some don't have good relationships for whatever reason. If you know someone like this extend a helping hand. You don't have to "adopt" them just remember them when you are out doing things for yourself. Think of something you could do for them. I promise you will have a deeper appreciation for your own life.

4 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    You are so kind ~ what a generous gift you gave her. Not so much the ride but the attention. You cared!

    Your post will definitely make me look at those around me a little closer and will remind me to act compassionately!

    Thank you!

    Small Footprints
    Rose said...
    That was so wonderful of you! You are so thoughtful and caring. I can't imagine how she would have made it a mile with all of those groceries. Such a great story and lesson to be learned here.
    MissCrystal said...
    I have chosen you to recieve a Blog Award
    http://lunaticwhimsy.blogspot.com/2010/04/honest-scrap-award.html
    wileypink said...
    Inge, there are angels among us.

    Jesus said, "...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." You were blessed to have had the opportunity to help this lady and to have actually helped. I know first hand the conviction of my soul when we don't act on these opportunities.
    I'm just wondering...which of you were blessed more?

    In Christ...Alone!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates