Thursday, October 23, 2008

Beirut

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut. I will never forget this time in my life.

I had just come home from Japan. I was on leave and still trying to get settled in at my new home just off the base at Camp Lejeune, NC. My first husband was also an active duty Marine.

I still can't think on this time without crying. I worked in a communications center so I received all the "death messages" before they were distributed to the respective units. Guys I dated, went to school with, worked with were dead.

The most vivid memory of this time for me is seeing the Marines carrying this awful news to families. For weeks I saw them in their modified Dress Blues delivering this news. To think of some poor wife or mother getting this news still makes me cry today.

You can go to any Marine and support a Marine through letters, care packages,etc. here. There are also sites for Navy, Army, and Air Force.

I encourage anyone who has someone in the Armed Forces or knows a family with a member in the Armed Forces to just let them know that you are thinking of them today.

Semper Fidelis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates