Friday, October 24, 2008

Global Warming

My prayer partner and I have had this discussion many times although not recently.

She thinks that global warming is a hoax. I disagree. As a christian, this puts me in a very precarious position. I am definitely in the minority on this one.

I believe that God takes our lives mistakes and all and uses them to His glory. This includes the damage we have done to the earth. I don't believe that the earth should be worshipped nor do I believe we can undo the damage we have done.

Anyway, the verse she uses to back up her belief is from Genesis. Gen. 8:22 states, "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." She thinks this verse disputes the fact of global warming. But if you look at the verse that is not what it says.

What it says to me is this: "while the earth remains...." God did not intend for the earth to always be here. God knew before He ever created anything that Adam and Eve would betray Him in the garden. He knew and He still created them and all living things. Why? I don't know.

The rest of the verse deals with the seasons. "seedtime, harvest, winter, summer...." This does not say that all these things will remain in the same region of the earth as they are now just that they will remain. Who knows how what we have done to this planet will affect what we grow where.

Once I explained what the verse meant to me, she did not entirely concede to my point, but she did see where I was coming from. Maybe I gave her some food for thought. I don't know.

My beliefs do not keep me from trying to be less wasteful. I believe we were created to be "tenders of the garden" and we have fallen short of this.

My life is to be an example to others. While I know that I will never be able to live my life in the way God intended because of my own sin, I also know that God will "use me in my affliction" to His glory. (Is. 48:10)

3 Comments:

  1. Sarah said...
    We already know that we disagree on God and religion. I hope it's okay to say this. :)

    I think that a belief in God and belief that there is more than this and that God will make it right (which is what some Christians believe) allows people to crap all over this planet with barely a second thought. I think that, in this particular case, belief can be dangerous.

    I am glad you don't agree with that line of thinking and that you are "in the minority."

    We all need to take care of our planet as best we can. It is important for our future generations. God might not fix it.
    Inge' said...
    Sarah,
    I agree with you. Too many people think that it is okay to abuse the gift we have been given in this case our planet.

    Unfortunately, by the time most have figured this out, it is too late to turn back the clock and now they are just trying to slow it down.

    Thanks for your comment!
    Christopher said...
    Hey! ended up here through John's blog. Yea I agree when you said this verse doesn't relate to the earth staying the same. =) But I also believe God can still reverse things, in our own lives.. =) and also I believe by following Christ, you are living the way God intended =).

    any how God bless!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates