Sunday, January 4, 2009

Used Clothing for Kids

I like a lot of you, read blogs from other sites besides blogger. One of the sites I like is The Simple Dollar.

He writes a lot of really interesting articles on frugal living. I have a tendency to compulsive buy so this is an ideal site for me.

His latest post is in regards to hand-me-down clothing. Apparently, in February of this year, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act goes into effect. How does this affect used clothing? Everything sold for children 12 and younger will have to tested for lead and phthalates. Anything that isn't tested cannot be sold.

I am sure this law was written with the best of intentions. However, as you know our government is severely lacking in common sense at times. This will force thrift stores to quit selling used clothing for kids. It may also affect donations made to charitable organizations of the same.

Personally, when my kids were little, I bought a lot of used clothing for them especially my daughter. Boys tear up before they outgrow so my son did not wear as much old stuff. I also buy used clothing for my grandson when I find it.

The impact of this is not just for thrift stores. Our landfills will become filled with all this clothing. Some second hand stores may go out of business.

The author, Trent suggests as do I, that you write or call your congressman and state your wish to have this law amended in a more realistic fashion.

If you want to read more, you can go to Trent's site and read his article with links to the law and what it means for the fashion industry and the rest of us.

I know I am down on the govt. in this post, but they have really made me mad with this new lawand their lack of foresight. So I will leave you with 2 of my favorite quotes from the great mind of Einstein:

"The attempt to combine wisdom and power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short while."

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Now I am going to go eat some raw cake batter:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates