Thursday, June 25, 2009


One of the blogs that I follow is Reduce Footprints. She has been doing some very interesting posts on Wednesdays. They have been somewhat challenging in that you asked to change some of your habits to reduce your carbon footprint. Some of my more conservative friends may think this is not necessary, but if you look at from a financial point, you will save money and help your local businesses out.

This week's challenge is to eat locally grown food for a day. This is going to be hard for me. Even though I live in the Bible Belt, there just are not many local farmers that sell to the public. So I am having to put some real thought into this.

Fortunately for me, hubs and I work different shifts, so I only have to cook one meal for us to eat together. For meals that we eat apart, I don't eat a lot of meat, so local fruits and veggies for me.

So here is my menu per her request:)

Roast - this will be deer roast that I got from a friend of my mom's Since he is an avid hunter, I have a freezer full and I know this is local.

Steamed green beans bought from the farmer's market.

New potatoes with bechamel sauce. I have checked my milk and it is not local so I will have to improvise.

Since I do have local flour and free range eggs from a friend at work, I will be making my own bread.

I hope that some of you will also try this challenge. If you are already a label reader, and have a good local farmer's market, this will be a no brainer. For the rest of us, well....we can do it!!!

Have fun and let me know how it goes.

1 Comment:

  1. Michael Horvath said...
    I like this Inge, very cool. I will try it in the future since I am so unprepared to do it this week.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates