Thursday, July 9, 2009


I went to the nursing home on Wednesday to speak with the Wound Nurse concerning my grandmother's pressure ulcer. She was not there (no surprise there), so I spoke with a Treatment Nurse. Now I am not sure what the difference is, but at least I was able to speak with someone.

Apparently, they use some sort of derma patch on these type of wounds. I was told that the bandage could stay on there for 3-5 days. This just doesn't sound good to me so I asked that her bandage be changed on Wednesday. I was assured that it would be. Then I asked about a Roho cushion and medical sheepskin for her bed. I have a friend that is well versed in the whole Medicare/Medicaid fiasco and she said I should be able to get these items for Granny since they are now considered a "medical necessity". So I asked that the Treatment Nurse put a note in the Doctor's file for her to prescribe these items for my grandmother. Now we play the "wait and see" game. I don't know how long it will take but my mom and I will be on top of this.

Today was my day to go visit my grandmother. I get there and she is in bed. This is not a problem because I know they get her up early and with this other going on, she doesn't need to be in her wheelchair all day. But, there was no bandage on her wound. This upset me greatly because I know the dangers of her not being bandaged properly. So I have to go and find a nurse, find out why she is not bandaged and get her bandaged. I was really pissed when I left.It's in her file, so there should be no reason for anyone to claim ignorance in this matter. I cannot dwell on this or I will become irate the next time I am there and I do have to remember that any retaliation from what I say or how I act, will be directed towards my grandmother. That's just human nature as sad as it is.

1 Comment:

  1. betty said...
    glad you will get perhaps some of the supplies as a medical necessity for the insurance to hopefully pay

    I think the wound nurse evaluates the wound and the treatment nurse takes care of bandage changes, etc. but I could be wrong

    betty

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates