Monday, August 24, 2009

H O N O R


Last night at work I did something I have only done 4 times in 15 years of working in the gaming industry. I asked to be taken off the game I was dealing. There aren't too many things that happen that I can't handle hearing or seeing.

Don't get me wrong, there are things that gross me out, things that I wish I never heard/saw, but overall, I can usually just gaff it off. Not so last night. These 2 men come up to the blackjack game. They are obviously father and son. The son buys in for 100.00 and splits it with his dad. The cards aren't going that great and there are 2 inexperienced players on the game. This makes it really difficult to win or get a run going if you know how to play. So the dad loses his 50 and asks the son for more money. The son starts questioning his father about the 200 he gave him earlier. Apparently he borrowed the money and paid his dad back. So the dad tells him he doesn't have it. The son starts going off. I mean really profane language and pointing fingers the works. He proceeds to pull another fifty out of his pocket and split that with his dad. Now he gets two 7's and I have a bust card up. So the kid looks at his dad and he tells him to split. This is a proper move. So the kid splits and draws another 7. He splits again and draws to 17 on the first hand, 12 on the 2nd hand and draws a 3 on the 3rd hand. He looks at dad again who tells him to double down; another proper move. He draws a 10 which gives him 20. Dad draws a 16 I think. I draw out to 20. So dad loses, son pushes on 1 hand and loses on the other 2. The kid looks at his dad and starts going off again. Things like,"That was the dumbest thing I ever saw. I can't believe you told me to f####ing split" and on and on he goes. At this point I have had enough, so I asked to be taken off the game.

Don't get me wrong. I am a Christian but I fall EVERYDAY. My character is in constant turmoil over my thoughts, things I say, my countenance, etc. But....I do know that you are to honor your parents. This is a commandment given to us by God. There are no conditions attached to this. You don't honor them if they deserve it, or if they act like you want them to you honor them period. I realize if this father had done what he should have when this boy/man was younger, he probably would not have spoken to him in such a manner. However, there comes a point in everyone's life when they realize what is right and what is wrong. So regardless of what this boy/man was/was not taught, he is accountable for his actions and words now. None of us get to choose our parents. By the same token, parents don't get to choose their kids. Needless to say, I had to get away from this before I lost my job with the crappy prescription drug plan.

4 Comments:

  1. betty said...
    you have to wonder why the dad would want to spend any time with son if son treated him like that and talked to him like that. makes you wonder how he treated his dad and this is the "norm" for their family

    again so sad

    betty
    Vodka Logic said...
    Wow, shocking to say the least. What ever happened to respect.

    Cool job most of the time I would think. I have never "met" a "dealer"

    xx
    JennyMac said...
    WOW....such an awful story. Where in the world would that boy learn to speak like that?
    Michael Horvath said...
    It can be so sad to see things like that happening. It does give me strength though, when observing other's behaviors, to try even harder to do the next right thing in my own life.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates