Thursday, October 15, 2009


There are at least 2 people in the nursing home with MRSA. This is definitely nothing to play around with.

There was a time when you only had to worry about this in a hospital or long term health facility, such as a nursing home. Now, children in schools, those going through basic training for the military, and many others are at risk.

Since cold and flu season is upon us, germs will be in much larger numbers in our homes, schools, and work places. From what I have been able to read, there are some things we can do to prevent MRSA from infecting us.

Hand Washing - As many of us realize, hand washing with soap is a major preventive for a plethora of germs. Using an alcohol based sanitizer helps, but some articles state that using a cleanser with Chlorhexidine is more effective.

Essential Oil Diffusion - Interestingly enough, certain essential oils seem to be quite effective in combating this infection. I am assuming that since diffusion is the method used, it would be used as a room deodorizer. The most effective oils tested were: Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Mountain Savory, Cinnamon,and Melissa oils. Lemongrass is the most effective, completely inhibiting all colony growth. Tea Tree oil kills all MRSA strains that have been tested.

This is a highly contagious infection. If you have any cuts on your hands make sure you wear gloves when handling a person or their clothing that has MRSA.

My grandmother has contracted this twice since she has been living in the nursing home. I have been very fortunate in that I have not contracted this. My mother however, has and it was very difficult for her to overcome it. I wear 2 pairs of gloves when handling anything in my grandmother's room. She thinks this is very funny and we both enjoy a laugh over me being the "doctor". I am constantly spraying her room with Lysol and cleaning with my own cleaning products.

I hope that everyone has a safe fall/winter. Protection and prevention are key to keeping our health.

1 Comment:

  1. Ambiance in the Attic said...
    Appreciate this helpful information! Wash, wash, wash!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates