Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Little Greener Me


While I could never be Lee Stroud, I do try to live a little greener life these days. I find that it takes a conscious effort and some planning to live like this.

My newest adventure is to read my food labels more. This is a real chore for me since I absolutely HATE to go to the grocer. I just want in and out. Even though I go in the wee hours of the morning, it still such a chore! All that label reading...ugh! But, I have noticed that a lot of quick foods are very high in sodium. This has caused me to rethink what I put in my lunches. No more fast food from the grocer if I can help it.

I also have a compost bin that I have decided is too small. Hubs and I built if from pallets and it has lasted about 3 years now. I thought of buying one of those enclosed tumbler types, but, they are quite expensive. So I found some plans on the web to build my own for around 60 bucks if I can reuse some of the items required. If not, it still won't cost near what they are going for.

I have replaced most of my light bulbs with the new florescent ones. These are more expensive but they do last longer. I also discovered that Home Depot will take the burned ones and recycle them for free. So now I know where to take them when I have to replace them.

I use those reusable grocery bags to cut down on my plastic use. These I love! I find that the cashier will put more in these bags than they do those plastic ones. I also reuse my produce plastic bags. I will eventually buy some reusable produce bags, but for now, I have plenty of these to use til I have to recycle them.

Since my glasses kept disappearing from the kitchen, I started using jelly/pickle/mayo jars several years ago. The reasoning behind this is simple. If you want to take a glass with you, take one of those so I can keep my matching glasses. Unfortunately, now that is about all I have in the cupboard. If I ever do any real entertaining, I will have to invest in some decent glasses.

When the kids come over for dinner, they always want to take home the leftovers. This is a good and bad situation. Good because it frees up room in my fridge. Bad because they take my Tupperware with them never to be seen by me again. So I have started saving my butter/cheese/cool whip type bowls. Even stuff I get from the deli that comes in a resealable bowl I save. Now when they come over, they can take stuff home in those. What is funny about this is they will bring that stuff back for refills. Go figure.

I also recycle cans, newspapers, etc. I have a lot of mixed metal in my garage that I need to get rid of soon. Magazines can be donated to your local schools,libraries, or even nursing homes.

So there is my green list. I do have some things I want to accomplish this year to live a little greener. I don't know if I will get to all of them since some are quite expensive, but every little bit helps. I have found that I save money in the long run by doing some of these things, and that is never a bad thing.

6 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    I love that the Tupperware disappears but the old butter containers come back for refills. :)

    I'm not crazy about reading labels either so I shop mainly around the perimeter of the store ... far fewer processed foods in those isles. When I do head into the center of the store, I read every label, every time ... it's a chore but I've learned that manufacturers are tricky ... they start out offering a pretty "pure" product and then, for some strange reason (I'm betting that it has something to do with their financial bottom line), they change the ingredients and include a whole bunch of weird things, most of which I can't pronounce ... and many which have been associated with diseases.

    You have incorporated so many wonderful green activities into your life ... can't wait to see what comes next!

    Take Care!

    Small Footprints
    Inge' said...
    SF,
    Thanks for stopping by! I also think it is a conspiracy about the old butter containers.

    I read with interest what you had to say on your blog and here about shopping around the perimeter of the grocer. I am definitely going to pay more attention to that when I next go shopping.

    I appreciate your comment and look forward to hearing from you again soon!
    JennyMac said...
    Bravo to you. I am a label reader..recycler..not quite a composter..LOL. But I am buying no chem cleaning products too. Every effort counts. :)

    And will you link your email to your blogger profile? I wanted to email respond to one of your comments on my blog but got 'no reply at blogger' as your email. :)
    Inge' said...
    JM,
    I am also doing the no chemical cleaning products. I really like the 7th generation line but it is still pretty hard to find here.

    You can contact me through my blog by using the "kontactr" button. But I did link up my email address to my profile.

    Thanks for your comment and I really enjoy your blog!
    What A Card said...
    Love it! My grandmother always sends me home with leftovers in reused food containers. I always bring them back, too :)

    If I just started doing the things my grandmother's done her whole life, I'd be living much greener!
    Inge' said...
    What a Card,
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment!

    I agree our grandparents were much greener than we are! I am hoping to achieve more greener living this year than last year.

    I find that the more I do, the easier it is.

    Thanks again for stopping by and I look forward to your next visit!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates