Thursday, January 14, 2010


My local news ran a piece the other day about a new MRI type of testing for Alzheimer's. After doing a little research, I don't think it is that new. More like Feb. of '08. I guess music and fashion aren't the only things that take longer to reach the states.

Be that as it may, this is good news for anyone dealing with Alzheimer's. To be able to diagnose this disease earlier, gives you many more options as far as medications are concerned.

There is also a new cognitive test that is being used in some cases. This was released in June of '09. I find this test to be more interesting because of the nature of it. I took my grandmother to UT for a study when she first arrived here. One of the things that the doctor wanted her to do was write her name. Since she was not sure she could, she kept changing the subject to keep from trying. While I finally persuaded her to do so, I learned how she avoided doing things or answering questions she was not sure of. Granny will still try to change the subject or avoid doing anything she does not remember how to do.


In May of '09, Time magazine published an article on yet another new test to detect Alzheimer's. This test differs in that it targets people aged 65 and older. Other tests in use target younger people. While I think early detection is best, there are a lot of elderly people that still live alone. This test may enable a child or other caregiver to recognize signs that the person in question is no longer able to care for themselves.

All in all, this is good news for those of us that have to deal with Alzheimer's on any level.

4 Comments:

  1. Tracy said...
    That's interesting that your Granny avoids talking about or doing things she doesn't remember how to do. It makes sense and shows she's aware, but just can't change it. How frustrating that must be for her and others who suffer from Alzheimers!
    Vodka Logic said...
    I never realized that Alzheimers was so prevelant.

    Good luck
    Inge' said...
    Tracy,
    It took me a while to figure it out. Because she has always had a way of asking me things to "see what I know about it" as she used to put it, I would just chalk it up to that. Even now, she will do it, but, because I am more aware, I can ask her to see if she remembers.

    VL,
    I didn't realize how prevalent this disease was either. Once Granny was diagnosed, I started doing a lot of reading on it and was amazed at how many of our elderly actually have this disease and how differently it affects each one.
    Adrian said...
    Very interesting information mate. Lets hope there are some positive medicines to cure Demntia

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates