Thursday, January 7, 2010


I did not know until recently that there are only 4 types of personalities. Guess I should have paid more attention in school.

I have read Charles Swindoll's take on the different types. I searched for the right book but, I have several of his and could not find the particular one. Fortunately, I did find it on the web.

While we all have one distinct type, we may also exhibit traits of the the remaining 3. James MacDonald spoke on this today in regards to solving conflict in our relationships. So I am hoping that this will help me in my quest to resolve things between my sister and I.

Without further ado, here are the types complete with animal examples.

Lion - Choleric/Dominance. This person is a take charge kind of person. They are energetic, ambitious, strong willed and independent. Because of your need to win, you can viewed as sarcastic, cruel or even domineering.

Otter - Sanguine/Influence. You are the life of the party. You make friends easily and crave the limelight. You have lighthearted attitude.But you tend to wear your emotions on your sleeves and lose interest in things rather quickly.

Golden Retriever - Phlegmatic/Steadiness. Like the Golden Retriever, you are steadfast, and dependable. You can be resistant to change which others perceive as stingy or selfish.

Beaver - Melancholy/Compliance. You want to be right. You can be a perfectionist and very analytical. Because of your need to be right you can be viewed as unsociable , moody, or critical.

Now I know who I am. The question is who is my sister? By knowing a little more of her personality type, will this help me to resolve this conflict between us once and for all? Should I even bother with all of this? Those are my new questions fo the day.

Here are your questions:
Which type are you? Do you recognize the person you are in conflict with? By knowing this will you be able to better communicate with them?

For more information on this you can visit the following sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments

http://weirdblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/22/personality-types-lion-beaver-otter-and-golden-retriever/

http://www.walkintheword.com/Broadcast.aspx

6 Comments:

  1. Tracy said...
    I've heard this info on personality types presented in a few different ways, in a few different settings. I've found it helpful to me in my work, as a wife, with my children and with people I deal with at church or in volunteering in the community.

    I'm predominantly a beaver. My middle son is 17 and is going through the I-know-everything-and-don't-you-exist-simply-to-make-my-life-better phase that is sometimes part of being a teen. Knowing that he is an otter helps me never make too much of any one comment from him because he'll be over it soon, as well as helps me know that making something fun will frequently be the most effective way to reach him.
    Inge' said...
    Tracy,
    I appreciate your insights. I am finding it difficult to put my sister into one of the types. I don't want let the issue at hand cloud my thinking.

    I asked my mother and she is of the same thinking. So I will have to spend some more time in thought on this so that I can be as objective as possible. I just want to resolve this so that we can both heal. It is time.
    Rose said...
    This is very interesting! I'm not sure which I am, but will have fun researching this some more.
    Inge' said...
    Rose,
    I also found it quite interesting! I am finding myself looking at the personalities of my hubs and children trying to decide which category they fall into. I have to do this as a "covert" operation of course:)

    thanks for taking time to comment and I look forward to hearing from you again soon!
    Michael Horvath said...
    Myers-Briggs personality test is more accurate but less fun.

    I have a combo of three of those you list. Hard to say...
    Inge' said...
    MPH,
    I agree that the Myers-Briggs is more accurate. I looked at some stuff on that particular test.

    But, like you, I thought this was more fun. Now I can call my mom a beaver and she and I can share the inside joke.

    I also have a combo of these traits. I think as we grow and learn from our life experiences, some traits will show more than others.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates