Wednesday, January 6, 2010


My mom sent her youngest sister copies of the photos she and my sister took of Granny. My grandmother left my grandfather when "J" was 16. She is much older now, and still she harbors resentment over this. So much so, that she was not very nice to my grandmother when she lived close to her. Now she talks about coming to see her, but deep down we all know she won't.

Most of us are like my aunt. We have some sort of deep seated resentment towards a friend/loved one. The problem with this is, this resentment spreads over to our other relationships. In my aunt's case, the photos brought back to her memory the way she has treated my grandmother in the past. Whether or not she will act on this remains to be seen.

I have these same issues with my own sister. There are slight differences, but, the fact that we are not speaking seems to be a universal dilemma among most of us.

As I was listening to James MacDonald this morning, I realized that I have been using my own sister's words to keep me from revisiting the issue. I don't relish the thought of going to my sister yet again over this same issue. I am not even sure what the main issue is. I only know what the final issue is.

Time to think, pray, gather yourself before you approach a person is one thing. Time to brew and stew and live off your anger is something else entirely. God has been very merciful to me in this area. He has shown me my own shortcomings and has enabled me to work through my own anger,bitterness,and selfishness in regards to my sister's behavior. Am I done with all of it? I would venture to say that if you asked God that question about me, He would respond with a thundering NO!!

I wish I could say that I eagerly look forward to the next few days/weeks as I go to God to seek guidance. However, I do know that even in my reluctance, God will use this as a faith strengthening experience for me and I always look forward to that.

4 Comments:

  1. Expat From Hell said...
    Dear Inge: I am encouraged and inspired by your struggle with your sis. I have a similar issue with my brother, and found that the "sins of generations past" have been visited in my family before. Seems that some of this stuff just flows in our veins, and goes back beyond grandma and grandpa, if you know what I mean. You are in my prayers for courage and wisdom as you move forward - talking to her, praying for her, however you see the door open, good friend. EFH
    Inge' said...
    EFH,
    Thank you for the words of encouragement! My mother and I have often had the "sins of past generations" conversation many times. It is amazing to see how with each generation, it gets a little worse. I am sorry to hear that you are going through a similar situation yourself. I also will be praying for you and your brother that you may resolve your issues and have the type of relationship God intended for you to have.

    Romantic Guy,
    Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment! I do hope you visit again soon!
    Christy said...
    Love your new look to your blog!! Thanks for thsi post, i really needed it today!!
    Inge' said...
    Christy,
    Thank you! I am glad you like the new look.

    I am glad you could take something away from this post to help you in your particular situation.

    It is good to hear from you again! I hope you stop in again soon!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates