Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Nobody Does It Better


Well, we got about 6 inches of snow yesterday. This is unusual for this area of the country. We usually get some ice and/or sleet, but rarely do we get actual snow.

While I was out taking my photos yesterday, I started thinking about the color white. White symbolizes many things in this world. Energy, innocence, purity, cleanliness. Then there are the "bad" symbols of white. White lightning, white elephant, white flag, white lie and in some cultures white is even a color for mourning.

Then we have songs with the word white in them. White Wedding, Nights in White Satin, White Rabbit and while there is no song about white I cannot leave out "The White Album" by the Beatles.

The thing is if you hold up any thing white against snow, it looks...dirty, dingy, and impure. Kind of like ME. While I may convince myself that I am clean, the truth is I am far from it. I am definitely going through a "bleaching" period right now.

As I go through the soak and wash cycle yet again, I am reminded of a story I once read. I wish I could remember from whence it came.

A Scottish preacher is walking home after doing quite a bit of traveling. As he is walking down a road, it starts to snow. He sees a women hurrying to bring her whites in from the clothes line. He remarks to her that her clothes do not look so white against the snow. She replies to him, "Nobody does white like God." I just love that line!

Just something new to think about as you endure this winter weather.

4 Comments:

  1. Dorothy Rimson said...
    Cute picture
    Inge' said...
    Dorothy,
    Thanks! They are brother and sister and definitely act like it! They want to do everything together. Sometimes they are more than a handful.
    Expat From Hell said...
    All I could think about when I read this post was Cream's "White Room". "In a white room, with black curtains.." The quote from the preacher just slays me - only God can do the real white, eh? Great thoughts on your unusually snowy day! EFH
    Inge' said...
    Man I can't believe I forgot that one!! Isn't that a great line? I just love it.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates