Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Guess What I Heard?!


Exactly what are idle words? What comes to mind when you heard that phrase?

I think of work. Rampant with rumors, gossip, and backbiting. Since there are so many employees, there is never a lack of something/someone to talk about. There are days when I just don't want to talk to anyone. I reach my threshold of trash talk if you will.

We are told that we are responsible for every word we speak. This has given me great pause as of late. When I think of all the idle words I speak in just one day it can be convicting to say the least.But, is it just words that we are responsible for? What about idle thoughts? Thoughts of ill will or what ifs or if onlys? How do we handle those instances?

How can we curb all of this? I study and read the Word and still can't control my mouth much less my brain. It can be quite daunting to have the "mind of God" when you are bombarded at every twist and turn in the journey of life. It seems as though we never really conquer anything.

I have been talking with God lately about my idle words and in the process have become a quieter person. For those that know me, you know I can be quite loquacious. I am hoping that I don't become rude in the process of curbing my mouth, another tendency of mine. As you can surmise, this is going to be a prolonged process to say the least.

The goal is to only have interesting and uplifting things to say/think. I just hope the process doesn't become a hopeless situation.

3 Comments:

  1. betty said...
    It is a struggle to control our tongues. I think that is why the Bible says so much about it (Proverbs and the book of James especially). I'm not out and about a lot with people these days, but when I was, when someone would want to tell me "gossip", I would stop them and say "is this something you will tell them to their face" and if they hesitated, I would tell them I didn't want to hear it. I still struggle telling gossip at times, but I think "if I will say it to their face, then is it really gossip?" And if I think I can tell it to someone's face, I do sometimes say it but always preface it with "this is probably gossip" just in case someone doesn't want to hear it. Always a constant battle, but keep fighting it!

    betty
    Sab | Paul Frank Bags said...
    You're quite right. The office is like a center of gossip. I may not always spill the beans about some people's secret but I do listen to someone who gossips about other people. Curiosity is a human nature. But one motto that me and my friends always remind each other is "to believe in the goodness of every person". :)
    Dr Hulda Clark said...
    I think its quite difficult to control your words and behave well when temper high!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates