Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What's in a Name






My name is spelled Inge'. It is pronounced Inga. I can't tell you how many variations of my name I have been called. I have even been called by names that are no where close to my name. Like Angel,Angie,English, the list goes on.

I was named after a friend of my mother's who lost her baby. Her name was Ingeborg. My mom promised her she could name me so she did after herself. Thank goodness she shortened it to Inge'. Can you imagine growing up in the south with a name like Ingeborg? Inge' has been hard enough!

Ingeborg is a feminine name. However, Inge' is traditionally masculine. Both names are Nordic in origin. They are derived from the name Ing meaning fertility god.

If you want to know the meaning of your name, you can look it up here

I also googled my name for images, and these are some of the more unusual ones I found.

1 Comment:

  1. John said...
    Hi Inge'

    What an interesting post!


    According to Babyfit, Inga or Inge' (Swedish) means hero's daughter.

    According to Think Baby Names, Inga means is "guarded by Ing". Norse mythology: Ing was a powerful god of fertility and peace.

    According to Baby Name Collection, Inge means Ing's protection (Ing was the Norse God of peace and fertility). Also means hero's daughter.

    What an interesting combination... fertility and peace... :)

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates