Friday, February 20, 2009


I have recently started a Bible Study on the book of Job. We are all pretty familiar with this book, so I won't go into the ins and outs of it. I was reading chapters 8 and 9 tonight, and I really felt compassion for Job. I have been where he is and can empathize with his feelings of being the only one suffering.

To that end, I pulled out my Jewish Prayer Book and found a prayer for times of trouble. For all of us who have felt like we are going through something we will never escape, I hope this gives you hope and encouragement.

Prayer In Time Of Trouble
Out of the depths of my sorrow I cry unto Thee, all-wise Ruler of the destinies of man. Thou hast laid upon me a heavy burden and tried me with sorrow. Days of anguish and nights of weeping hast Thou meted out to me. Humbly I bow beneath Thy decree and cry to accept Thy will. For what am I, but dust and ashes, that I should murmur against the wisdom of Thy ways? I feel that Thy decrees, though hard to bear, are meant for good and not for evil.

In the gloom around me, I look to Thee for light. Let me not seek in vain for Thy sustaining arm. Let me not rebel at Thy chastening, O Lord. Redeem me from faults, and grant me strength to do Thy will with a perfect heart. Amen.

The book also cites Psalm 146 as an accompaniment to this prayer. I have included this passage below:

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.

2While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.

3Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

4His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

5Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

6Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:

7Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The LORD looseth the prisoners:

8The LORD openeth the eyes of the blind: the LORD raiseth them that are bowed down: the LORD loveth the righteous:

9The LORD preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.

10The LORD shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the LORD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates