Monday, January 4, 2010


Christmas was very nice. My Christmas Eve dinner soiree went very well. We celebrated early at my mom's so the kids could be there. I went to the nursing home to get Granny so she could partake with all of us. Normally, I can get her in /out of the car by myself. If I have issues with getting her in, by the time we get where we are going, she is prepared for me to get her out. Not so this time. I couldn't get her in the car at the home. I had help getting her out at my mom's.

You could just tell that she can no longer hold her own weight when she stands up. So, my son followed me back to the home to help me get her out of the car. The reason this is so sad for me is because I now have to face the fact that I can no longer carry my grandmother to family events. I may not always have someone available to help me move her. Mom and I decided that this is best for her. But just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

My hubs has offered his help so I can still take her around. But, he is not always off from work so that is a "catch me when you can" type of situation.

They don't have a "party room" at the nursing home. All they has is a TV/game room for the residents. If we start going there, we will be using this room. The problem with that is that the other residents will be denied access to this room while we are there. I am not sure just what we will do yet.

This new development could mean that my grandmother is slowly progressing into the next stage of Alzheimer's. I am not ready for that yet. She is starting to spend more time in bed these days. It is just to uncomfortable for her to be in a wheelchair all day. I know that this has contributed to her inability to stand.




The most important thing is what is best for her. Right now, at this point in the games, this is what is best.

On a lighter note, mom and my sister took some really good photos of Granny at the nursing home. My sister had a fireplace backdrop she brought and the vintage jewelry I threw in looked really good on Granny. I think she looks great for 93. I can only hope I age as well.

10 Comments:

  1. Vodka Logic said...
    She looks great and what a beautiful smile. So sorry to hear things are getting worse.

    My mother in law is 95 and as capable as anyone, amazing to see the differences in people.

    happy New Year xx
    Inge' said...
    VL,
    I know what you mean. My g-grandmother was 94 when she passed and sharp as a tack til the end.

    So far as I know, none of the children are exhibiting any symptoms so that is a good thing!

    Happy New Year to you also.
    Unknown said...
    Hi there. I realize how much you love your granny and how much you want to be with her. So why don't you have her stay at your place...

    A Happy New Year to you and your family. Best wishes to your grandma... :)
    baili said...
    hi just saw you blog and so touched with you such a beautiful post ,she looks beautiful ,we all face the same age process with time i loved the way you write about her god bless you
    Inge' said...
    Baili,
    Thank you for your comment and for stopping by! I appreciate your kind words.

    Mr. Stupid,
    That would be an ideal situation. For a while she did live with my mother. But, my grandmother now needs full time care which is not feasible for me and my budget. This is the next best alternative.
    Liliai said...
    Your granny is lovely. I like your blog, its real. :)
    Inge' said...
    Abi,
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment!

    I look forward to hearing from you again!
    Dorothy Rimson said...
    :-(
    Gio Ve said...
    I arrived here just surfing, but I think I’ll be coming back again from time to time.
    Congratulations on Your interesting site and best wishes from an Estonian living in Italy
    Inge' said...
    Pilland,
    Thank you so much for the compliment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates